ENGLEWOOD — A house fire that broke out around 12:30 p.m. Tuesday in the 1000 block of Terracewood Drive caused extensive damage to a two-story home.
Several area agencies responded to assist Englewood with the blaze, including Brookville, Clayton, Trotwood and Union. No one was home when the fire broke out, according to Englewood Fire Chief Buddy Bergman, who said the fire started in the oven.
“We can’t say for sure if it was an electrical short in the oven,” Bergman said. “There was some talk that the wife had set the oven on the self-cleaning setting that day, which could have caused something too close to the oven to combust or it could have been caused by something that was accidentally left in the oven, or it could have been caused by too big of a buildup of grease or debris. Those self-cleaning ovens are not meant to be run when you are not there.”
Four pets, two dogs and two cats, were rescued from the home by firefighters.
When crews arrived flames were shooting through the roof. Bergman said the fire spread into the lower attic of the home and also partially burned the second story attic. Bergman said the fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage.
The house cannot be occupied in its current condition, according to Bergman. The family will stay with other relative living in the area.