ENGLEWOOD — Ron Papp (left) and Monty Mercer, board members of Randolph Township Historical Society (RTHS), pose next to the ornamental sandstone plaque salvaged from Randolph School, a.k.a. O. R. Edgington Elementary School.
After the salvage operation Area Wide Services installed the sandstone plaque at the RTHS History Center, 114 Valleyview Drive in Englewood.
Papp and Mercer spent several hours prior to the installation putting in footers and supports for the plaque that once decorated the upper right façade of the 1923 school building. The building is now totally demolished and all that remains is a flat landscape graded with topsoil and seeded.
Members of the Society also paid to have a large scroll from the top of the school incorporated into a garden area along the south lawn of the History Center. Papp and Mercer, both of whom attended some classes in the old building while it was known as Randolph, will make final touches to the installation during the next few weeks including painting the supports and adding ground cover.
Area residents are invited to stop by the Center and enjoy the beauty of these pieces of local history up close.
RTHS is always interested in preserving local historic memorabilia and photos. If you have items of local historic interest to share, please call 832-1858.
Randolph Township Historical Society board members Ron Papp (left) and Monty Mercer pose with the sandstone plaque salvaged from O.R. Edgington Elementary.