BROOKVILLE — In July 1922, William R. Sanford announced his retirement and sold his interest in the Sanford & Marshall Drug Store to H. B. Marshall and H.B. Smith. The new firm name became Marshall & Smith.
Mr. Sanford entered the drug store business in partnership with Rev. C.A. Howren in 1878, when they purchased the store from Conner & Mundhenk. Mr. Sanford remained on the job from then until a stroke of paralysis in 1922 kept him at home and resulted in his retirement. In 1882 Harry B. Marshall entered the business, taking the place of Rev. Howren.
Another interesting feature of this old firm was that the firm as Sanford & Marshall started the Brookville Star in October 1891, which today is still a going concern. They established a printing office above their drug store.
In the beginning The Brookville Star was published twice a month by Sanford & Marshall and was edited by Rev. Abner L. Howren. The first issue was printed in October 1891.
In 1893, Sanford and Marshall remodeled their store building on the northeast corner of Market and Mulberry. The occupants at that time were Emanuel Smith, harness, etc; James George Medford, groceries and dry goods; and a barber, George B. Unger.
This building burned in 1903. They began rebuilding the store late in 1903 and were ready for the stone masons in December 1903. The new building was occupied in 1904.
In 1917, Harry B. Smith entered the firm and in 1928 became the sole owner; changing the name to Smith’s Rexall Drug Store.
At the time of his retirement in 1922, Mr. Sanford was the oldest business man in Brookville. Mr. Sanford retained his interest in the building which housed the store.
All information and the photo for this Look at Brookville article were supplied by the Brookville Historical Society. Do you have a photo or historical information to share or add? Please contact the Brookville Historical Society at 937-833-0285 or email to [email protected]