DAYTON — Nine students from Northmont City Schools’ G.R.E.E.N. team have been selected as winners of the Keep Montgomery County Beautiful Poetry Contest.
G.R.E.E.N stands for Gifted Readers Engaging Everyday at Northmont. These students will be recognized at an awards ceremony at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds this Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon.
The winners are 4th Graders Paige Auxier and Carson Stone of Union Elementary, and Kennedi Robinson of Englewood Elementary, 5th Graders Leena Futoryansky and Gabi Haker of Englewood Elementary and Owen Reid of Northmoor Elementary, and 6th Graders Danielle Coomer of Union Elementary and LaKenya Blackmon and Julie Ann Dale of Northwood Elementary.
Montgomery County Environmental Services and Keep Montgomery County Beautiful co-sponsor the Environmental Poetry Contest. Students are encouraged to express their environmental ideas and concerns regarding litter prevention and awareness, water preservation, and keeping Montgomery County beautiful. The contest is open to all Montgomery County students in grades 2-12.
Students that entered the contest had to follow these guidelines:
• One entry per person, one author per entry.
• Poetry theme must relate to litter.
• Entries must be legible on one sheet of 8 1/2” x 11” white paper if not submitted online.
• Please! No artwork on the poems.
• On the back of the page, entries must include:
• Student’s Name
• Complete Address with City and Zip Code
• School Name, Address, Grade, and Teacher’s Name
• Your teacher’s phone number or e-mail address
• Entries will be judged by grade on theme usage, creativity, punctuation, spelling, and neatness.
• Entries not following the guideline rules will be disqualified.
The mission of Keep Montgomery County Beautiful is to promote litter prevention, neighborhood cleanups, beautification efforts, and community pride in Montgomery County, Ohio. Keep Montgomery County Beautiful is a program of the Montgomery County Solid Waste District.
Keep Montgomery County Beautiful is a local Keep Ohio Beautiful and Keep America Beautiful affiliate. Keep America Beautiful, Inc. is the nation’s largest volunteer-based community action and education organization. With a network of nearly 1,000 affiliate and participating organizations, KAB forms public-private partnerships and programs that engage individuals to take greater responsibility for improving their community’s environment.